Home  |  Mobile  |  Apps  |  Social        

TripSmarter.Com

Does anyone know when the beaches will open?

I am heading to Destin tomorrow. I already called my hotel and they have been open since Yesterday afternoon. No damage and they have power, but the beaches are closed. This wil be a huge bummer if I can't go to the beach. Anyone have any clue when the Sherrif will re-open them. Are they really that badley dmaged?

Here's a story on it. I pasted a snippet.

"Obviously, there's been severe beach erosion and some damage to the boardwalks. The beaches are closed now, and while we hope to get them open again as soon as we can, we're not going to do it until it's safe out there," Louthlain said.

The danger keeping the beaches closed is remaining debris from wooden boardwalks that was swept onto the sand during the storm. Cleanup crews are expected to be working on the beaches soon, piling the splintered wood for removal. The beaches, but not the water, could be reopened as early as Thursday, said Ed Baltzley, division director of Emergency Response for Walton County. "There's lots of debris, lots of damage out there," he said. "We don't have a definite timetable on opening the beaches, but we're hoping for Thursday."

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pb...507130316/1046
    Last edited by swn5363; July-13th,2005 at 04:31 PM. Reason: formatting

When they open the beaches does that mean we will also be able to get in the water??

Quote Originally Posted by goin to destin
    When they open the beaches does that mean we will also be able to get in the water??
    No it doesn't. There is still debris and some contamination in the water. I haven't found out how quickly the tidal action clears this stuff out. I know that there is a double red flag (no swimming) edict for South Walton Beaches currently. All of Destin's flag poles were destroyed so they won't be on the full blown system. You'll need to check wioth your reps on whether swimming is safe or not yet.

I heard from one source that the water was still very dark. We are scheduled to go to the Pelican Beach Resort on the 23rd and have been told it will be up and going by this Monday at the latest. That includes beach access. That means we have to go since we rent from an owner and wouldn't get a refund. We are just going to make the best of it. Look at it this way. It'll be easier to get into the restaurants for the next few weeks.

:D

Edit: BTW, here is a site with current flag conditions:

http://www.seemoresafetycrab.com/

I'm in Destin right now. I have yet to see any real damage to anything except for what is on the beach front. The beach is far more erroeded than I had antcipated. It appears that the water line has come in about 40 yds, from the time I was here last year. The water is a very murky brown, and all the beaches are gray looking. Not the same Destin I remebered. There are beaches open, but they are double red flag. You cannot go in the water, and they recommend you wear some kind of footwear, because there is an extremely large amount of debris. There is also heavy machinery all on the beaches trying to clean some things up. I'm staying right of Old hwy 98, and I walked across the street to the beach and as I did, from where the beaches erroded is about a 12 foot drop. The only halfway descent beaches that are open are near sea grove and seaside. The farther east you go the better. Good luck to anyone that comes down here. It might be a little depressing, especially since its forcasted to rain all the way to next Friday. It's been raining and overcast here for the last day and a half.

New Orleans, Key West & PC Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Come walk on our beach

AJ, sorry the beaches are still messed up in Destin. I'm sure the locals are working their buns off to get it cleaned up as fast as possible... in the meantime, since you're here... take a drive over to PC Beach and stick your toes in the sand... it's not as pristine as it was this time last week, but it's pretty, and, if it rains on you, you can still grab a waterfront table at Schooners and have a cold one and watch the waves roll in... check out the live cams at Schooners and you can see the beach: www.schooners.com

It's BEAUTIFUL here in PC today, and the weekend forecast is for only occasional isolated thunderstorms - same as EVERY day on the coast... should be a pretty weekend... especially right on the beach where the coastal winds push back the clouds.

By the way, the Bay over here is clear and beautiful... perfect for fishing! The fish are biting like crazy.. rent a boat and go fishing! Lots to do... and good eatin' in the restaurants!

So, don't despair!

nan27 is offline New TripSmarter.Com Member
    My family and I are scheduled to stay at the Sunspree in FWB from 7/31 - 8/4. We are concerned about the condition of the water and the beaches in the area. We could change our reservations to stay in Panama City if the beach and area conditions are better.

All opinions on what we should be will be most welcome!! Thanks!

Icon14

According to our friendly crab, Seemore, the South Walton beaches have just gone from "double red" (no swimming allowed) to "yellow" (medium hazard - swimming allowed)!

Very good news!

Thanks for that *****. I am watching the boards everyday for updates. We head to Inlet Reef on the 5th.

Thread Information