Home  |  Mobile  |  Apps  |  Social        

TripSmarter.Com

Hybrid View

cm05174 is offline New TripSmarter.Com Member

Post Where to stay???

I will be coming to Atlanta In about a week and half for a football game and really don't have any idea where I should stay. I kinda heard downtown is not too safe and was thinking of the Baymont Inn just north of the city. Anyone have any suggestions????

jodimarie is offline Senior TripSmarter.Com Member

Downtown Atlanta

Actually any of the big hotels downtown i.e. the Hilton, Hyatt, or Marriot are in a great location to experience the city and a very short distance to the GA Dome (if that's where you're going to watch the game). As is the case in any city you'll want to use caution at night, but you should be fine walking around along Peachtree Street..there are so many great restaurants, shops, and bars within walking distance and it's a short cab ride up to Midtown or Buckhead, where there are even MORE shops, restaurants, attractions, etc.

I would definitely recommend staying downtown, I think you'll have a great time. And have fun at the football game!
    Last edited by jodimarie; October-12th,2005 at 09:24 AM.

I agree with Jodi about Downtown ATL... it's a great area to experience and has really been cleaned up a lot the past few years.

Find a good value hotel, then stay a couple extra days in a luxury cabin in Blue Ridge Georgia...about two hours North of Atlanta. It's beautiful and worth the extra days.

seventhheaven Guest
    I think the hotel with the most character is the Glenn - very upscale but if you are looking for comfortable accommodations and great downtown location that's the one!

Icon4 You Can Always Go...DOWNTOWN!

Downtown is a pretty good place to stay in Atlanta as it's pretty close to everything except the upper reaches of Buckhead and perhaps Phipps Plaza which is a "fer piece" up Peachtree, but for city standards, it really isn't that bad, especially if you know how to use 85 and exit where necessary. Downtown offers a lot to amuse any visitor, including the Fabulous FOX Theater, shopping at Peachtree Center (or eating at a gazillion restaurants inside), and there are any number of cool hangouts like Gibney's Pub and of course, Trader Vic's. Mai Tais anyone? There are also several rooftop restaurants-some even circle the city for a bird's eye view-and there are so many great hotels in the downtown area, it most always easy to get a really good deal on a 4-star hotel.Only when the really BIG conventions and/or events are coinciding with your visit will you have to fork up the $$$$'s, IF you can even get a room. Any other time, just go to sites like Priceline of Bookit, etc. and see what's what? Priceline often has a 4-star mystery hotel in Downtown Atlanta and though I'd really LOVE to tell you what I recently paid for a stay at the ultra glamorous and iconic Hyatt Downtown,in all fairness I just can't. Call me or better yet, take a chance on Downtown and get a real sense of the everyday hustle and bustle of the Capitol of the South. It's a short ride to Midtown, where there's even more action in a plethora of clubs, discos and charming cocktail bars that are tucked inside classic Atlanta homes that provide plenty of comfort and cozy surroundings for an interesting night of conversation with locals and tourists alike. But don't stay out too late and take advantage of Atlanta's green-spaces like the sprawling Piedmont Park or charming Ansley Park with its ultra modern or old-school mansions that line the other side of the street. On your way back downtown, stop by Myrtle or Penn Avenue at 10th street and enjoy the profusion of flowering plants and trees, giant oaks and numerous dogwood trees that have actually brought fame (and a festival) to this "green neighborhood" that belies its position in the big city, or concrete jungle. Oh no-not Atlanta and certainly not Midtown! If you happen to be there in the spring, I guarantee a jaw-dropping experience; summer is so green that even Kermit would be jealous and the fall season is every bit as worthy as a trip to the North Georgia mountains (and so much closer). Finally make plans to see a Broadway Show or Ballet at the Fox and stop by Ecco (walking distance from the theater) after the show for a few "small plates" or tapas and a bustling bar scene that's always happening in all the right ways. Maybe it's because the place is so COOL and SLICK but unbelievably comfortable and accommodating...or something. Midtwon, downtown...it's all good, especially when you get a good deal on your digs and I'm here to tell you that you can! YES you can. This big city is anything but daunting (only the traffic can turn your green experience to RED, but plan accordingly and avoid that all together). And this is just for starters in this awesome southern habitat. Y'all come, ya hear?

Thread Information