Home  |  Mobile  |  Apps  |  Social        

TripSmarter.Com
    sivled is offline New TripSmarter.Com Member

We are soooo confused Help Us please

Hello Everyone

I am a newbie here but it looks like a fun but imformative site. We need your honest opinions and current oil slick news. We live above Louisville Ky. and we are both retired . We are/were thinking about visiting one of the following gulf coast areas in either late September or early October but now with everyone talking about how this oil slick will ruin not only the the beautiful water but also the wonderful white sandy beaches so we are really worried driving there and then not being abloe to enjoy your area like we once hoped. Here are a few questions I hope can be answered. What is the current outlook for your area where it comes to visiting there ? We will be looking for a hotel that is on the beach with views of the beach and Gulf of Mexico. Normally would September or October be nice times to visit without the really big crowds ? What would be your choices in hotels that would be at least three or four star rated without costing us over say a hundred twenty fivev or thi8rty dollars a night ?

If anyone can help us with answers we3 would really be thankful.

Thanks

sivled

HI Sivled!

Welcome to the Tripsmarter Forums.

September/October is a wonderful time to visit. Crowds are gone, it's not quite as hot, and the Fall sunsets are stunning. This is actually the time of year I recommend the most.

As for the oil spill... quite honestly, it's difficult to forecast, even for the professionals. I think everyone here along the Emerald Coast expected the oil to affect our area by now, considering the size and location of the spill. But, miraculously, it has not. Other than a few tar balls washing up in Pensacola and a storage container from Deepwater Horizon washing up in Panama City Beach (both had virtually no real impact on the area) the oil has pretty much stayed away. So, if the miracle continues, you may have clean beaches in Sept/Oct. Or the oil could hit lightly and be cleaned up by then. Or, it could be worse. It's just a "wait and see" situation right now.

Most hotels along the Emerald Coast are offering full refunds if the oil affects your reservations, so check on that before you book your room.

And, as far as hotels.... if you're looking for luxury, try the Emerald Grande. It's a little above the range you mentioned, but might be worth it if you want luxury.

Another great choice is Henderson Park Inn, located right beside Henderson Beach State Park, It's got the charcteristics of a small Bed and Breakfast, but in a much larger building in a prime location. The staff there is wonderful and will take great care of you. Highly recommended!

Good luck and we hope you enjoy your stay in Destin. If you go, pls come back and let us know how your trip went, post pics, etc. We'd love to hear about it.

Here are some more recommendations from our Account Executive in Destin and our Regional Director of Sales in PCB:

Amy in Panama City Beach:
    I'd like to recommend any of the Resort Collection properties if they can
    stay in PCB. The seem to have good off season rates. Wish we could predict
    what the oil is going to do. They need to make sure they stay somewhere
    that will honor a cancellation IF there is oil on the beach.

Brittany in Destin:
    There is a large HOG rally in Destin in October this year, so September
    would be my suggestion if going to Destin. Emerald Grande or Sandestin Golf
    & Beach Resort are both great choices because they're all inclusive with
    plenty of amenities.
    Last edited by swn5363; June-14th,2010 at 03:44 PM.

I just wanted to tell you that the beaches as far as I know it in Destin are clean. You are better off staying @ a place in FWB unless you want to spend the extra money for the location.

If you want current updates on the oil spill, I've posted this all over my facebook page but here:

WEAR ABC 3
    Mobile News Alabama News Pensacola Florida News - WKRG.com Mobile Weather News
    WJHG - Home
    Home | Local15tv.com, Mobile & Pensacola News, Entertainment, Videos, Business Search and Shopping

Hows KY? I'm looking into relocating there. This heat is wearing me out. It's about 30+ outside here in FWB. FL. I wanna visit there. You got a lot of cool, haunted places there.

-Rob (under a new name)

Thread Information