My wife and I escaped for a two day getaway last weekend and gave the JW Marriott a try since we always stay at the OTHER Marriott on Canal.

This location is right across the street and is the old Le Meridien Hotel. Check in is on Common St off Canal which makes it a bit easier once you get there.

Bellmen are the best as always seems to be the case in New Orleans at Marriott properties. We had Albert and he was delightful, helpful and ENJOYED his "work". Check in desk clerk was also very nice and helpful when I asked questions about the Marriott vs. Meridien.

We had a room on 27th floor with the concierge lounge, which to our PLEASANT surprise was open on the weekends. This is a HUGE plus and worth any upgrade to get access to it. Free snacks and apps in evening, drinks and chips all day and a nice full breakfast each morning. Also, an honor bar if you want beer, wine or a cocktail. Cookies after 8 PM. Nice decor makes it a good place to get out of your room to catch the news or read the paper as well. Easily worth $50 a stay.

Room was nice enough with beautiful decor and furnishings. Not large but adequate room. Pretty much a Marriott room but with different bedding and art which can make all the difference from the cookie cutter approach.

Elevators were quick and good location within walking distance of all the good eateries, entertainment, shopping, etc.

Only issues we had were: $29 to park our car DAILY( we never got in it) and health club and pool were not nearly big enough for this hotel. The fitness machines are dated and in need of repair which seems to be a shortcoming at most Marriotts for some reason. Only five chairs by the rather small but quaint pool area. Also, as is Marriott's habit they post billed us again for items we had already paid for at checkout.

Overall I give this Marriott location an 88 out of 100 and can only advise them to upgrade the health club and possibly think of adding a sauna and maybe a spa.

Did not try any of the restaurants although they were there. Too many good ones outside the hotel to keep us there.

Keep up the good service and they will come.