Home  |  Mobile  |  Apps  |  Social        

TripSmarter.Com

Thread: Fresh Seafood?

Fresh Seafood?

Where's the best place to buy fresh seafood in the New Orleans area. Especially crab and shrimp. Looking for good prices and great quality.

Gene is offline Senior TripSmarter.Com Member
    There should be no seafood BUT fresh seafood around here, Stl. If it isn't fresh, run for your life! Your choices are many Stl....If you want the seafood for shipment back to your home, there's Deanie's in Bucktown and in the FQ. They ship all over the world everyday. If you want some good eatin' while you're here, try Acme, GW Fins, Felix's and Mike Anderson's Seafood in the French Quarter. I'm a shrimp nut myself. So MAKE SURE you ask for "Louisiana Shrimp" when placing your order, regardless of where you go to find them....Recently, there's been an influx of Chinese shrimp onto the US market that are much smaller and not as fresh as the Chinese critters. This way, you'll also be supporting the shrimping industry in LA, which is a tremendous part of our heritage and history. I hope you enjoy your visit STL......Regards, Gene S.

Thanks Gene, I appreciate the info. I plan on coming through the New Orleans area on my way to Destin, FL for vacation. I am looking for a great place to pick up some seafood to take to our beach house to cook ourselves. I'm interested in shrimp, crawfish and whole crabs. Do you know anything about prawns? Or are those just considered the huge shrimp. Damn, I'm getting hungry already and I've still got a month to go.

Is there anything that would not be in season on June 11th?

Crawfish are going out of season right now. In early June, you can still get some though. Brown Shrimp season starts up next/this week....around now anyway...Yum.

Do the Deanie's pick-up/take out at their Bucktown location for your shipping. They won't let you down. Great family, greata seafood...cooked or uncooked. We don't really have prawns here....I consider them hige shrimp too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene
    Crawfish are going out of season right now. In early June, you can still get some though. Brown Shrimp season starts up next/this week....around now anyway...Yum.

Do the Deanie's pick-up/take out at their Bucktown location for your shipping. They won't let you down. Great family, greata seafood...cooked or uncooked. We don't really have prawns here....I consider them hige shrimp too.
    Do they catch crabs in the Gulf area? Blue, softshell, etc.?

They catch Blue crabs in Lake Ponchartrain which is just north of N.O.

Cannot go too wrong in New Orleans

Well

Here I am again with seafood news.

Try the Lakefront or Bucktown for blue crabs. Deanies for one.Johnny Whites too I believe is a dive with good fresh seafood they throw on the table.

In the Quarter, Mr.B's Bistro on Royal is a MUST eat place. If you do not give it at least a 9 out of 10 I will pay for your meal. I agree with the Michael Andersons review above as well.

This is STILL my fave city to go out and eat which includes NY, Atlanta, Chicago and San Fran. New Orleans cannot be beat.

Oh, another GREAT seafood location is in Metairie....Harbor Seafood. Fresh and good prices with a fresh shop next door who pack for airplanes and shipping.

Do not forget to try an oyster Po-Boy and the Seadfood gumbo or t\urtle soup while you are in...

Near the Esplanande Mall so you can make a day out of it out there.

Thread Information